School Law: MCLE BasicsPlus!®
The primer for public school law
School law is more than just disciplinary matters...
Lawyers who make their living representing students, parents, school districts, and municipalities know that school law covers many disciplines. If you are a school law practitioner, you need a generalist's handle on a broad range of issues-and a specialist's expertise regarding case law, state and federal statutory law, municipal law, and litigation.
This program provides a practical foundation of key education law topics-including infrastructure issues at the school committee level and diversity and discrimination issues at the student level. A faculty of veteran practitioners identify topics that arise in every educational setting, and give you an overview of key state and federal statutes and regulations you need to be familiar with.
Just a few of the topics you will learn about...
- What the key Massachusetts statutes are that relate to school governance, education reform, and student rights and entitlements
- What are the common ethical issues that arise when representing both children and schools in the education law context
- How you can locate and understand key provisions relating to confidentiality of students records
- Under what circumstances-and to whom-student records can be released
- What is acceptable-and prohibited-regarding discipline of students
- What the circumstances are that permit authorities to search a student's person and his or her locker
- What mandatory reporting requirements teachers and parents must know about
- What special education is and what type of programs it entails
- What Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act require
- What are the key judicial decisions you must know in education law
The "Curriculum" includes...
- An Overview of Important State and Federal Education Statutes, Regulations, and Cases
- An Exploration of Privacy and Confidentiality Problems
- Student Conduct Issues-In Depth
- Special Education-Including Discussion of 2004 IDEA and Section 504
- "Ask the Experts" Q&A Session
Table of Contents
- $205 MCLE Sponsor Members
- $225 MBA/BBA Members
- SPECIAL NEW LAWYER DISCOUNT
For new lawyers admitted after 2005, pending admittees, and law students who are$145 MCLE Sponsor Members
- $165 MBA/BBA Members