Steve Stark on Writing to Persuade
Persuasion-it's much more effective than force
Every great negotiator understands the rhythmic power of quiet, relentless persuasion. Every great writer is practiced in the subtle skills that can win a reader over-influence a decision-appeal to the heart-achieve the desired result. Let Steve Stark teach those skills to you in this eye-opening, intensive, one-day writing "clinic."
You start by learning fundamental principles that are absolute prerequisites to improving your persuasive skill. You learn editing "tricks" that the most influential writers use every time they put their fingers to the keyboard. You gain essential, memorable tips that will make you a powerful persuader. And before the day is over, you'll be using your personal writing style to get the result you want.
This clinic is what you need-to get what you want
Let writing and public speaking expert Steve Stark make you an eloquent persuader-he's been helping lawyers for decades to reach a new level of polish in their professional speaking and writing. Steve weaves law, literature, film, and television masterfully into his captivating lectures and participatory exercises. You'll be engaged in class discussion, and participate in writing exercises utilizing your new-found skills. By the end of the session, you'll be a powerfully persuasive writer-guaranteed!
Here's what it delivers-
- Class discussions and exercises designed to improve your writing skills
- Valuable knowledge on the fundamental principles of persuasive writing and editing
- Tips for organizing your thoughts-to maximize their impact
- Practical steps you can take to convey complex ideas in a simple manner
- Absolute essentials for writing in a litigation context
- Tips to combine precision with persuasion to supercharge your influence over the reader
- Methods to deliver a subtle message quickly to win the reader over
- Red flag fatal writing mistakes that will cost you the case-or the client
- Simple steps you can take to convince someone-ethically
Agenda and written materials
- Organizing Your Ideas; Proper Style; Paragraph Structure
- Convincing Leads and Conclusions; Avoiding "Legalese"
- Drafting Legal Memoranda
- Writing for Courts
- Business Communication; Letters and Email
- The Art of Editing: Both Yourself and Others
Steven Stark, commentator for National Public Radio (NPR), former Harvard Law School lecturer, and political columnist, returns to MCLE to conduct a dynamic workshop on writing for lawyers. He is one of the nations most popular and highly acclaimed CLE lecturers. A graduate of Harvard College and Yale Law School, he has presented hundreds of courses on writing and speaking to law firms, government agencies, CLE groups, judges, and arbitrators. He is the author of "Glued to the Set: The 60 Television Shows and Events that Made Us Who We Are Today," published by The Free Press. His latest book is Writing to Win: The Legal Writer, published by Doubleday.
Table of Contents
- $195 MCLE Sponsor Members
- $145 New lawyers admitted to law practice after 2006, pending admittees and law students