Intellectual Property: MCLE BasicsPlus!®
Practical steps to protect your clients' intellectual property
The information age has changed everything. There is no longer a company around that can ignore intellectual property. Nor can their lawyers. What intellectual property does your client have and are they taking the right steps to preserve it? What rights do they have in their intellectual property and how do they protect it? Are they infringing on someone else's intellectual property? Using examples, this program guides you through the basic issues in the key areas of intellectual property. Although aimed at the practitioner new to these areas, this program also provides enough depth to be of interest to those with some experience.
Learn the basics of each type of intellectual property, and how each relates to the other; how to identify and handle intellectual property issues and conflicts of interest in typical client situations; and how the internet and social media are changing the playing field.
Agenda and written materials
- Copyright: The statutory framework; Copyright registrations; Computer software license agreements and the freelance programmer; Graphic arts agreements and the freelance artist; Website design and ownership; User-generated content; Bringing and defending an infringement case
- Trademark: The statutory framework; Selecting and evaluating a trademark—registration and infringement risk; Getting a federal registration; Foreign registration; Trademark licenses and assignments; Maintaining the value and strength of your trademarks; Bringing and defending an infringement case
- Trade Secret: The sources of trade secret law; The impact of restrictive covenants; Establishment of a proper trade secret protection program; Bringing and defending a misappropriation case
- Patent: The statutory framework; Patent novelty and clearance searches; Patent prosecution; Foreign patents; Patent licenses and assignments; Duty of candor; Patent misuse and its extensions; Bringing and defending a patent infringement case
- Counseling Technology Based Clients: General considerations in licenses; Building and maintaining a portfolio of patents and trademarks; Deciding whether to file for copyright protection
- "Ask the Experts" Q&A Session
Table of Contents
|On Demand Webcast||$135.00||$121.50|