Handbook of Legal Research in Massachusetts
Excel in the research of primary and secondary sources
- Product Number: 1880135B00
- Publication Date: 1/26/2023
- Edition: 5th Edition 2023
- Copyright: © 2023 MCLE, Inc.
Add to Favorites List
A necessity for legal research, the Handbook of Legal Research in Massachusetts shows you how to excel in the research of primary and secondary sources for Massachusetts case law, statutory law and regulatory authorities. The Handbook provides a sound basis in many sources of basic public law in Massachusetts. Researchers unfamiliar with Massachusetts legal materials will find background explanation, bibliographic information and related research guides for major areas of law.
Update: January 2023
Thank you for choosing to keep your copy of the Handbook for Legal Research in Massachusetts current with this 2023 edition. Inside, you will find new material on the following topics and more:
- Tracing the legislative history of a Massachusetts statute. See chapter 3 for two case cites illustrating the courts' power to look for "reliable guideposts" to help construe legislative intent.
- Docket-level research. In chapter 4, there is new information on the posting of briefs on the appellate site. There is also information on signing up for the clerk's listserv, which provides timely notice of newly posted information.
- Rules of court. Chapter 5 offers many URLs for accessing updates to trial court and appellate rules.
- State agencies conducting adjudicatory hearings. Exhibit 6A offers an updated listing of full contact information.
- Bibliography of legal research. Chapter 11 includes an updated bibliography of treatises and miscellaneous materials of interest to legal researchers.
We at MCLE trust that you will find this material to be useful in your law library and practice.
Maryanne G. Jensen, Esq., Director of Publications
- Update: January 2023
Table of Contents
Table of Contentsexpand allChapter 1 expandChapter 2 expand
Statutes and Session LawsBuy ChapterChapter 3 expandChapter 4 expand
The Judicial SystemBuy ChapterChapter 5 expand
Rules of CourtBuy ChapterChapter 6 expandChapter 7 expandChapter 9 expand
Electronic Legal ResearchBuy ChapterChapter 10 expand
Legal Collections in MassachusettsBuy ChapterChapter 11 expand
Selected Legal Research ResourcesBuy Chapter
- Editors & Authors