Intellectual Property Practice
- Product Number: 2040302B00
- Publication Date: 1/29/2016
- Edition: 3rd Edition 2016
- Copyright: © 2016 MCLE, Inc.
Add to Favorites List
Over the past 20 years, intellectual property law practice has crept into the mainstream of a lawyer's daily work. While familiarity with IP property asset protection was once a narrow specialty, it is now a key element in the "portfolio" of skills of business and commercial lawyers and most litigators. In fact, a sophisticated knowledge of IP is a prerequisite for transactional corporate, business and commercial practice. IP knowledge is power; savvy in this hot area is increasingly valuable and marketable.
Rather than taking an academic approach to this potentially complex area, MCLE's Intellectual Property Practice cuts straight through erudite laws and regulations, explaining in plain language how to recognize, protect, enforce and value intellectual property claims as they arise in the business context. Topics covered include patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright law and practice. You get a practical, nuts-and-bolts treatment of commonly encountered issues pertaining to intellectual property asset protection, management and enforcement against misuses and infringements.
Organized according to the major categories of intellectual property practice, this manual first defines the concepts, and then guides the user through how to obtain rights, how to protect a portfolio, the cresting decisions that impact this dynamic area of law, and the many sources of primary law that are constantly shifting and evolving, especially as a result of the Web's influence on the creative process.
Update: January 2016
Thank you for choosing to keep your volume of Intellectual Property Practice current with this latest edition for 2016. Inside, you will find updates on such topics as:
- Preissuance and Postissuance Procedures—See Chapter 3 for updated, practical information on procedures that can be categorized according to three factors, namely: (1) to whom they are available, (2) to which applications or issued patents they apply, and (3) the defect that each procedure is suitable for correcting. See Chapter 3 also for discussion of three U.S. Supreme Court decisions where judicially created exceptions to patent eligibility were expanded.
- Uniform Trade Secrets Act—See Chapter 4 for the author's commentary regarding the current version of the UTSA that has been submitted by the Commission.
- Noncompetition Agreements—See Chapter 5, on the topic of legitimate business interests, for recent case law on the topic of enforcement of noncompetition agreements, the concept of good will, and other pertinent topics.
- Trademarks—See Chapter 6 for extended discussion and leading cases surrounding the likelihood of confusion standard.
We at MCLE trust that you will find this new edition indispensable in your law library and in your intellectual property practice.
Maryanne G. Jensen, Esq., MCLE Director of Publications
- Update: January 2016
Table of Contents
Table of Contentsexpand allChapter 1 expand
Metes and Bounds of Intellectual PropertyBuy ChapterChapter 2 expand
Developing and Realizing Value from a Patent PortfolioBuy Chapter
Exhibit 2A- Mononucleosis Detection Technology License Agreement (Version A, Tending to Favor Licensor) Buy Form
Exhibit 2B- Viral Detection Technology License Agreement (Version B, Tending to Favor Licensee) Buy Form
Exhibit 2C- Form of Agreement for Confidential Disclosure to a Third Party Buy Form
Exhibit 2D- Form of Patent Assignment Buy Form
Exhibit 2E- Employee Noncompetition, Nonsolicitation, Nondisclosure, and Assignment of Inventions Buy Form
Exhibit 2F- Form of Agreement for Two-Way Exchange of Confidential Information Buy Form
Exhibit 2G- Form of Assignment Accompanying Patent Application Buy Form
Exhibit 2H- Biological Material Transfer Agreement Buy Form
Exhibit 2I- UBMTA Form of Biological Material Transfer Agreement Buy Form
Exhibit 2J- Form of Agreement for Employees and Consultants Buy FormChapter 3 expand
Understanding Patents for the Legal AdvisorBuy ChapterChapter 4 expand
Trade Secret LawBuy ChapterChapter 5 expandChapter 6 expandChapter 7 expandChapter 8 expandChapter 9 expand
Ethics Issues in Intellectual PropertyBuy Chapter
- Editors & Authors