A Practical Guide to Estate Planning in Rhode Island
Practical, comprehensive treatment of estate planning issues
- Product Number: 2120313B00
- Publication Date: 6/21/2017
- Edition: 1st Edition 2012, with 2017 Supplement
- Copyright: © 2017 MCLE, Inc.
Add to Favorites List
The collective expertise of over twenty estate planners, combined with hundreds of years of experience—that is what you will find in this comprehensive practice manual. A Practical Guide to Estate Planning in Rhode Island begins with practical steps in handling an estate, introduces estate, gift and generation-skipping tax planning, provides pointers on testamentary planning, and helps you to advise clients in all walks of life—the married couple, the individual interested in funding a charitable organization, the couple who need to protect retirement assets, family businesses, or real estate. The most salient areas of estate planning practice are included in this highly practical resource.
Update: June 2017
Thank you for keeping your estate planning library up to date with this 2017 supplementary issue of A Practical Guide to Estate Planning in Rhode Island. This supplement presents you with indispensable information on new developments, including the following:
- Client Communications—See Chapter 1 for new additions to a sample meeting summary letter, including information on portability of the federal estate tax exclusion amount to the surviving spouse.
- Determining the Tax—See Chapter 2 for updates to the step-by-step guidance on calculating the decedents gross estate and determining the taxable estate.
- Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Rate—See Chapter 5 for new examples on how to calculate the GST.
- The Role of Life Insurance in Estate Planning—See Chapter 6 for practical tips on advising clients with regard to life insurance provisions, including survivorship policies, variable life insurance, first-to-die policies, and more.
- Living Wills—See Chapter 8 for explanations of living will provisions, tips on powers of attorney, and information on Rhode Islands COMFORT ONE program.
- Fraudulent Transfers—See Chapter 11 for a discussion of the important distinction between a fraudulent transfer and a criminal act, and the potential for disciplinary proceedings.
We at MCLE trust that you will find this new material useful in your practice and valuable in keeping your library updated.
Maryanne G. Jensen, Esq., Director of Publications
- Update: June 2017
Table of Contents
Table of Contentsexpand allChapter 1 expandChapter 2 expandChapter 3 expand
Fundamental Testamentary PlanningBuy Chapter
Exhibit 3A- Self-Proving Affidavit Buy Form
Exhibit 3B- Executor Power Provisions for Pour-Over Will Buy Form
Exhibit 3C- Funeral Planning Agent Designation Buy Form
Exhibit 3D- Administration Provisions and Trustee Powers Buy Form
Exhibit 3E- Memorandum of Trust Buy Form
Exhibit 3F- Definitions Section Buy Form
Exhibit 3G- General Checklist of Provisions for a Simple Will Buy FormChapter 4 expandChapter 5 expandChapter 6 expandChapter 7 expandChapter 8 expand
Living Wills, Durable Powers of Attorney for Health Care, and Durable Financial Powers of AttorneyBuy ChapterChapter 9 expand
Estate Planning for Retirement BenefitsBuy Chapter
Exhibit 9A- Notice 2016-62 Buy Form
Exhibit 9B- COLA Increases for Dollar Limitations on Benefits and Contributions Buy Form
Exhibit 9C- IRA-Related Sections of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Buy Form
Exhibit 9D- Uniform Lifetime Table (from IRS Publication 590-B (2015), Appendix B, Table III) Buy Form
Exhibit 9E- Sample Basic Beneficiary Designation Buy Form
Exhibit 9F- Single Life Expectancy Table (from IRS Publication 590-B (2015), Appendix B, Table I) Buy FormChapter 10 expand
Basic Strategies to Preserve and Protect the Family BusinessBuy ChapterChapter 11 expand
Asset Protection TrustsBuy ChapterChapter 12 expandChapter 13 expand
ReservedBuy ChapterChapter 14 expand
Planning for Incapacity—Special Needs and GuardianshipBuy Chapter
Exhibit 14A- Form for Appointment of Parental Successor Buy Form
Exhibit 14B- Suggested Language for Guardianship Decree when Guardian Is Representative Payee Buy Form
Exhibit 14C- Sample Trust Language for Determining Incapacity of a Trustee Buy Form
Exhibit 14D- Designation of Funeral Planning Agent Buy Form
Exhibit 14E- Department of Human Services Code of Rules Section 0356.50.20 Buy FormChapter 15 expandChapter 16 expand
Planning Involving Vacation and Second HomesBuy Chapter
- Editors & Authors