MLRI Legal Tactics--Private Housing: Tenants' Rights in Massachusetts
Legal guidance for advocates who help their clients solve tenancy problems.
- Product Number: 2170514B04
- Publication Date: 6/15/2017
- Edition: 8th Edition 2017
- Copyright: © 2017 Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
Add to Favorites List
Legal Tactics: Private Housing is the most comprehensive handbook on tenants rights in Massachusetts. Written in easy-to-understand terms, this volume focuses on private rental housing. It answers questions on security deposits, rent, repairs, evictions, housing discrimination, lead poisoning, mobile homes, and tenants in foreclosed properties. Over forty sample forms, letters, and checklists provide tenants and their advocates with the tools needed to prevent problems, gain protections, and communicate effectively with landlords, boards of health, and courts. A one-stop reference, this book also provides the legal back-up you need through footnotes, an expanded phone directory, the actual text of key laws, and a glossary.
Update: May 2017
Legal Tactics: Tenants Rights in Massachusetts provides practical information about the laws that affect tenants. It is a resource for tenants, landlords, lawyers, advocates, mediators, housing agencies, community groups, and courts. This book focuses mostly on laws that affect tenants in private housing.
All chapters, booklets, and forms have been updated as of May 2017.
This edition of Legal Tactics also offers the following new features and information:
- Chapters have endnotes which online are linked to publicly available laws.
- Pullouts are easy-to-read highlights for each chapter. Copy pullouts onto 1 sheet of paper and share them widely.
- Chapter 2: Tenant Screening explains how landlords screen tenants and how to protect yourself when you are looking for a new place to live.
- Booklet 10: Negotiating a Settlement in Your Eviction Case helps you address important issues when you settle your case. It includes a worksheet, forms, and answers to questions.
- Booklet 11: Error Correction Form tells you how to check if your online court record is correct and if there is clerical mistake, how to fix it.
- Form 2: Rent Receipt is an easy-to-use form to help you keep written proof of your rent payments. It is very important to keep good records of your rent payments.
The laws and programs that tenants rely on to provide fair and safe housing were not created overnight. They are the result of many years of work by tenants and supporters. These people continue to speak out for national, state, and local programs and laws that will improve housing conditions for everyone.
As you use this book, we hope you see your support is necessary in the continuing effort to provide all people with access to a decent, safe, and affordable home.
- Update: May 2017
- Editors & Authors