Data Security and Privacy in Massachusetts
Breach prevention, compliance, and the safeguarding of privacy
- Product Number: 2180499B02
- Publication Date: 1/17/2018
- Edition: 2nd Edition 2018
- Copyright: © 2018 MCLE, Inc.
Add to Favorites List
In the era of big data, issues of privacy, security breach prevention, and the need for compliance with federal law have come to dominate the practice of information governance in commercial and institutional settings. If you counsel a business or an institutional entity, knowledge of the regulations is critical. Written by experts in this complex and ever-evolving area of the law, this book provides you with a working familiarity with data security compliance, breach prevention, and the protection of privacy.
**Winner of the Association for Continuing Legal Educations 2016 Award for Outstanding Achievement in Publications**
Update: January 2018
Thank you for purchasing the 2018 edition of Data Security and Privacy in Massachusetts. In this edition, you will find updates on a multitude of topics, including:
- Wiretapping; recent case law. See Chapter 2 for a discussion of the Wiretap Act with regard to the interception of Wi-Fi communications.
- Credit security freezes. See Chapter 4 for a discussion of how Massachusetts consumers can request a security freeze, also called a credit freeze, on the consumer's file with a CRA. G.L. c. 93, § 62A.
- Regulation P of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act; FTC settlement with TaxSlayer.com. Chapter 5 includes perspectives on the FTC's proposed settlement with TaxSlayer.com, and on the privacy rule (known as Regulation P under the CFPB version) generally.
- Negative online reviews. Chapter 7 includes commentary on a 2016 case where a business sued Yelp, Inc. alleging business defamation based upon a negative consumer review, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals' ruling.
- Federal Trade Commission litigation. See Chapter 8 for discussion of two important FTC settlements in 2017.
We at MCLE trust that you will find this new edition of Data Security and Privacy in Massachusetts useful in your practice and valuable in keeping your data security and data privacy library current.
Maryanne G. Jensen, Esq., Director of Publications
- Update: January 2018
Table of Contents
Table of Contentsexpand allChapter 1 expand
Conceptions of Privacy and Security in a Digital WorldBuy ChapterChapter 2 expandChapter 3 expandChapter 4 expand
Fair Credit Reporting Act; Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions ActBuy ChapterChapter 5 expandChapter 6 expandChapter 7 expand
Congressional Response to the InternetBuy ChapterChapter 8 expandChapter 9 expand
Survey of State Data Security and Privacy LawBuy ChapterChapter 10 expand
Massachusetts Data Security Law and RegulationsBuy Chapter
Exhibit 10A- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding 201 C.M.R. § 17.00 Buy Form
Exhibit 10B- A Small Business Guide: Formulating a Comprehensive Written Information Security Program Buy Form
Exhibit 10C- Standards for the Protection of Personal Information of Residents of the Commonwealth—201 C.M.R. § 17.00 Buy Form
Exhibit 10D- OCABR 201 C.M.R. § 17.00 Compliance Checklist Buy Form
Exhibit 10E- Personal Information: A Graphical Representation Buy Form
Exhibit 10F- Action Plan for Complying with Massachusetts Data Security Regulations Buy Form
Exhibit 10G- Twelve Practical Tips for Employers Buy Form
Exhibit 10H- Helpful Websites Buy FormChapter 11 expand
Consumer/Retail IssuesBuy ChapterChapter 12 expandChapter 13 expandChapter 14 expand
Cyber Risk Insurance and Risk ManagementBuy ChapterChapter 15 expand
- Editors & Authors