Data Security and Privacy in Massachusetts
Breach prevention, compliance, and the safeguarding of privacy
In the era of big data, issues of privacy, security breach prevention, and the need for compliance with federal law have come to dominate the practice of information governance in commercial and institutional settings. If you counsel a business or an institutional entity, knowledge of the regulations is critical. Written by experts in this complex and ever-evolving area of the law, this book provides you with a working familiarity with data security compliance, breach prevention, and the protection of privacy.
**Winner of the Association for Continuing Legal Educations 2016 Award for Outstanding Achievement in Publications**
Update: January 2018
Thank you for purchasing the 2018 edition of Data Security and Privacy in Massachusetts. In this edition, you will find updates on a multitude of topics, including:
- Wiretapping; recent case law. See Chapter 2 for a discussion of the Wiretap Act with regard to the interception of Wi-Fi communications.
- Credit security freezes. See Chapter 4 for a discussion of how Massachusetts consumers can request a security freeze, also called a credit freeze, on the consumer's file with a CRA. G.L. c. 93, § 62A.
- Regulation P of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act; FTC settlement with TaxSlayer.com. Chapter 5 includes perspectives on the FTC's proposed settlement with TaxSlayer.com, and on the privacy rule (known as Regulation P under the CFPB version) generally.
- Negative online reviews. Chapter 7 includes commentary on a 2016 case where a business sued Yelp, Inc. alleging business defamation based upon a negative consumer review, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals' ruling.
- Federal Trade Commission litigation. See Chapter 8 for discussion of two important FTC settlements in 2017.
We at MCLE trust that you will find this new edition of Data Security and Privacy in Massachusetts useful in your practice and valuable in keeping your data security and data privacy library current.
Maryanne G. Jensen, Esq., Director of Publications
Table of Contentsexpand all | collapse all
|Nonmembers||Sponsor Members||New Lawyers|
|Print Book (printed book)|
|eBook (PDF, MOBI, or EPUB)|
|eArticle (purchased individually)||$28.00||$25.00||$18.75|
|eForm (purchased individually)||$18.00||$15.00||$13.50|
|Online Library (view online)||With MCLE OnlinePass® subscription only|
With MCLE's supplementation service, new supplements and revisions are mailed automatically with an invoice. If you do not want to subscribe, please check the opt out option during checkout