Obtaining, Using and Protecting Trademarks
Essential IP skills for the business lawyer
- Product Number: 2182153WCH
- Publication Date: 10/4/2017
- Edition: 3rd Edition 2017
- Copyright: © 2017 MCLE, Inc.
Add to Favorites List
This handy primer is a step-by-step guide to developing a trademark management system. Use it to expand your knowledge of the various types of marks and their relative registerability; how to perform a trademark search and clearance; how to apply for and register a trademark; proper use and maintenance of trademarks and the methods for enforcing those trademarks. Sample forms round out this practice tool—use them as you develop your own trademark management system.
Thank you for choosing to keep your volume of Obtaining, Using, and Protecting Trademarks up to date with this 2017 edition. Inside, you will find the following:
- See Chapter 2 for two new checklists. The first provides an aid in determining the nature of a client's need for intellectual property legal services; the second provides details to consider relative to information-gathering at the client intake stage of representation.
- See Chapter 3 for a checklist for examining a proposed trademark. This tool helps to ensure that counsel reviews a client's idea carefully prior to taking action. Chapter 3 also features a checklist of considerations for ex parte trademark cases.
- See Chapter 4 for a good example of a simple cease-and-desist letter. Chapter 5 provides a checklist of elements that are essential considerations in the drafting of such letters.
- See Chapter 8 for a brief discussion of the European Union's treatment of trademarks that cannot be graphically reproduced.
We at MCLE trust that you may find this material useful in your trademark practice, and valuable in maintaining your law library.
Maryanne G. Jensen, Esq., MCLE Director of Publications
- September 2017
Table of Contents
Table of Contentsexpand allChapter 1 expand
Types of Intellectual PropertyBuy ChapterChapter 2 expandChapter 3 expandChapter 4 expandChapter 5 expandChapter 6 expand
Selected IssuesBuy ChapterChapter 7 expand
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)Buy ChapterChapter 8 expand
The European Union Trade MarkBuy ChapterAppendix
Resources Pertinent to Trademark PracticeBuy Chapter
Appendix A- Bibliography Buy Form
Appendix B- Example of Trademark Search Reporting Letter Buy Form
Appendix C- Basic Facts About Trademarks Buy Form
Appendix D- A Guide to Proper Trademark Use Buy Form
Appendix E- Cease and Desist Letter Buy Form
Appendix F- Protecting Your Trademark Abroad: Twenty Questions About the Madrid Protocol Buy Form
Appendix G- Members of the Madrid Union as of July 31, 2017 Buy Form
Appendix H- Guide to the International Registration of Marks Buy Form
- Editors & Authors