SJC Practicing with Professionalism Program: 2019 Session 1
A mandatory one-day course for new lawyers on the Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct and Massachusetts Practice
- Product Number: 2190000P03
CLE Credits, earn up to:
4 substantive credits, 4 ethics credits CLE Credit Note
Add to Favorites List
Observance of the highest ethical standards, proficiency in essential elements of law practice, civility, and engagement in the legal community are among the hallmarks of professionalism. MCLE’s dynamic Practicing with Professionalism faculty bring these principles to life.
SJC Rule 3:16 requires all newly admitted lawyers in Massachusetts to complete a mandatory professionalism course within 18 months of admission. Spend the morning with MCLE and build a foundation in professionalism that will serve you throughout your career—and life.
A major advantage of taking the Practicing with Professionalism course at MCLE is the rich compilation of resource materials—provided in electronic format—over 1,000 pages of original articles from existing MCLE publications, and materials from a number of regulatory agencies and professional organizations.
These materials serve not only as a valuable online companion for the course, but also as a continuing resource for research and reference in daily practice.
Attendance at this program, per SJC Rule 3:16, is a post-admission requirement. Only those already admitted to the Massachusetts bar will receive credit for the course; anyone not yet admitted to the bar will have to retake the course after admission.
Attendance at the entire program is required. Registrants who arrive after the course has commenced will not be permitted to attend the day's program, but must register for another course date.
Agenda & Materials
8:15 - 9:00 am
Check-In and Practicing With Professionalism Video Montage
- Networking Breakfast Provided by MCLE
- 10-minute video featuring prominent judges and lawyers addressing professionalism, civility, the importance of pro bono service, bar membership, continuing legal education, and what it is like to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. (plays on a continuous loop during throughout the hour)
9:00 - 9:10 am
Law As a Profession: The Relevance and Importance of the Practicing With Professionalism Requirement
- A member of the SJC's Standing Committee on Professionalism emphasizes the value of this course, and identifies attributes and the importance of professionalism in the practice of law, while also highlighting the historical significance of Massachusetts lawyers in upholding the rule of law.
9:10 - 10:15 am
Professionalism in Developing, Managing, and Maintaining Relationships - and in Problem Solving
- Your reputation takes years to build; start
Promoting Access to Justice
Navigating the Challenges and Opportunities in Using New Technology and Social Media
Adapting to the Financial Challenges Inherent in an Evolving Legal Marketplace—and Thriving
Maintaining Your Professional and Personal Well-Being
MCLE webcasts are delivered completely online, underscoring their convenience and appeal. There are no published print materials. All written materials are available electronically only. They are posted 24 hours prior to the program and can be accessed, downloaded, or printed from your computer.