Court Data on Race & Ethnicity in Civil Cases: Access to Justice Opportunities & Challenges
- Product Number: 2230291P01
- Print Brochure
Add to Favorites List
- Remind Me Later ⓘSign up to receive a reminder one week prior to program.
Interested in Court Data on Race & Ethnicity in Civil Cases: Access to Justice Opportunities & Challenges but not sure you can make it?
Sign up to receive an automatic reminder one week before the program date.
Join the Massachusetts Access to Justice Commission’s Racial Equity and Justice Committee, in collaboration with MCLE, the Court Management Advisory Board, Justice Harry J. Elam Judicial Conference, Flaschner Judicial Institute, Asian American Lawyers Association of Massachusetts (AALAM), Boston Bar Association, Hispanic National Bar Association, Massachusetts Association of Hispanic Attorneys, Massachusetts Bar Association, Massachusetts Black Lawyers Association, Massachusetts Black Women Attorneys, Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation, Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association, MA Legal Services' Attorneys of Color Group, South Asian Bar Association of Boston, and others, for a timely and important program on racial justice and data collection.
The program convenes a panel of court leaders and other experts to discuss the importance of, and challenges inherent in, collecting, maintaining, and reporting Massachusetts Trial Court data regarding race and ethnicity—particularly in civil cases—to identify and remedy racial disparities and improve access to justice. The panel dialogue aims to facilitate communication, coordination, and collaboration among justice partners engaged in this type of data collection and analysis.
Attend to hear about the challenges and opportunities for improvement—and join this important conversation.
- Hon. Edwina G. Richardson-Mendelson, Deputy Chief Administrative Judge for Justice Initiatives, New York State Unified Court System, Office for Justice Initiatives, Featured Speaker
- Hon. Julie J. Bernard, Associate Justice, Massachusetts District Court, Co-Chair Massachusetts Access to Justice Commission Racial Equity and Justice Committee and Commissioner, Moderator
- Steven Duncan, Chief Information Officer, Massachusetts Trial Court, Judicial Information System Department (JSID), Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Caitlin L. Glass, JD, Policy Program Director, Boston University Center for Antiracist Research
- Lee Kavanagh, Director of Research and Planning, Massachusetts Trial Court, Department of Research and Planning, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Andrea L. Miller, JD, PhD, Senior Court Research Associate, National Center for State Courts
- Michael A. Sullivan, Clerk of Clerks, Middlesex Superior Court, Massachusetts Trial Court, Superior Court Department
*Advance registration for this program is required.*
Agenda & Materials
2:05 pm–2:20 pm
Welcome, Overview & Introductions
2:20 pm–2:45 pm
Featured Speaker Address by Judge G. Edwina Richardson Mendelsohn who will provide a critical perspective on the national importance of this issue to the administration of fair and equitable justice.
2:45 pm–5:00 pm
Moderated Expert Panel & Guided Discussion: Where Are We & Where Do We Go from Here?
5:00 pm–6:30 pm
Networking ReceptionPlease join us for light refreshments.
MCLE webcasts are delivered completely online, underscoring their convenience and appeal. There are no published print materials. All written materials are available electronically only. They are posted 24 hours prior to the program and can be accessed, downloaded, or printed from your computer.
- $0.00 - All Registrants